I haven’t posted any art over the past few weeks as I’ve dedicated all of my being to writing the outline for Sticker Quest. I have really good days and I have really depressingly awful days where I just want to give up and pretend I never tried in the first place. Luckily for all of us, I can’t give up. Quitting Sticker Quest would only cause me to hate myself and who’d want to live with that?
The nice part about this obsession is that it’s really helped me cope with my culture shock and other things that have gone off in my life. I’m learning so much about myself and my limits (which I don’t think I’ve properly challenged yet).
I’m going to share some things that I’ve learned. They could be entirely wrong but here it is:
- I’ve spent more time rewriting than writing. The way I pictured Sticker Quest a month ago is not how Sticker Quest is now. Characters and sequences have changed completely – but that’s okay because they’re better now.
- Write down every bad idea so then only good ones are left.
- Tell your outline to a critical, jerk friend, he’ll find every plot hole and make you hate yourself as you try to fix them. (You’re the best, Josh!)
- Coincidences suck.
- If you want to be awesome, you have to make sacrifices. That sucks too, but only temporarily.
- Surround yourself with other creative people. Get rid of anyone who makes you sad or anxious. You don’t have time to feel anything but pure burning ambition!
- Hipsters go and work at hipster cafes for a reason – free but slow wifi crashes Tumblr, so you get a lot done. (Also, tea-based beverages make me happy)
If I fail, I will blame Tumblr. If anything brings Sticker Quest crashing down, it will be
porn and cat pictures.
Other accomplishments thus far:
- One of the side characters has been designed. (Wanna peak?)
- Many articles on story-telling and character creation have been devoured and bookmarked.
- Doodles to accompany certain scenes to help me visualize them.
- A job interview and a house-viewing. #lifeaccomplishment
Many naps taken and much chocolate consumed.
IN OTHER NEWS!
I will be partaking in 24 hr Comic Book Day at Happy Harbor Comics in Edmonton. I will post more information that about that soon.